Day 2 at Harvard. The weather has been yucky: warm, humid, rainy. But it is supposed to improve. My dorm room is terrible. It's tiny and ugly and smelly. Very smelly. Actually, the whole building has the strong odor of a wet dog or a sweatsock. I bought a fan and air freshener, but it's kind of a "David taking on Goliath" sort of thing.
Hopefully, with a little decorating my room will look a little less like a prison cell (that's how Jorge, an LLM on my floor describes the rooms). Speaking of LLMs (it's sort of an advanced law degree, but a lot of foreign students get them as a way of learning about US laws), there are a few on my floor. There are also a huge number of 2 and 3Ls (returning law students). In fact, there are only around 4 of us 1st years. I didn't expect that, especially in this dorm. The down side is that there are fewer new people to get to know. The up side is that 1) I'm surrounded by people who actually know what they're doing, and 2) it might mean that the general atmosphere is more relaxed.
I hung out with my (fairly new) friend Alisa last night. It's so great to know someone in Boston, and I definitely had fun! I also bumped into another friend who is getting a Ph.D. here. It makes me feel a little less far away.
I got the immunization thing worked out, and I will be able to register tomorrow. I have to bring a little pink slip with me--it looks like a tardy note or something.
My cell phone gets really horrible reception in my dorm. Basically, I can only talk while practically hanging out the window. Some of the wise 3Ls told me I should switch plans. But I have this contract-thingy. Anyhow, if you know my new home phone number (meaning I emailed it to you [If I didn't send you my new contact info, and you'd like it, just email me and I'll pass it along]), it'd be great if you use the home number instead of the cell to reach me when possible. Cuz otherwise I might not get your call.
Just an advanced warning, I'm considering switching blogs. But I'm kind of attached to this one, and there's been so much upheaval in my life recently, I'm not quite ready for that just yet. Anyhow, if I do swap, you'll be the first to know. Meaning, I'll link on here to the new address.
Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think the smelly sweatsock smell in dorms is an East Coast school thing. My dorm room at Princeton had the same muggy smell.
You should get a big box of baking soda and sprinkle lots of it around the room. Let it sit there for a few days and then sweep/vacuum the room up.
Open the window whenever possible and let fresh air move in and out.
Hope you're having a good time over there!
Kami the west coast misses you! But I am so incredibly proud to say the smartest person I know (well-rounded intelligence-history, politics, culture, pop-culture, she splices, she dices) is going to Harvard Law. Though you had your pick of amazing schools, they all wanted you.
Keep your chin up, I know you thought you left dorm life behind you. It's always a shock to return to it.
Best of luck!
-Marisela
Post a Comment