Peter Jenning's death has me thinking. Fame is a strange thing. I've always respected and admired Peter Jennings. My friend Sarah and I even went to hear him speak in Berkeley. Whenever horrible news broke, I always turned the tv to ABC because I knew that Peter Jennings would make me feel better about the world, somehow. Peter-- his voice, his person, comforted me. He was a news anchor, but he seemed like someone I knew.
And that's strange. I mean, why does that happen? Celebrities, even fictional characters, can come to be important to us. We often feel more attached to people we've never seen than the people we pass on the street.
I guess we all want connections to others. We're always looking for opportunities to reach out to our fellow humans. And maybe getting attached to folks we've never even met is just an extension of that desire for affiliation.
But whatever the reason, I can't help thinking that news just won't be the same.
Monday, August 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment