I've been wondering if I'm becoming boring because lately I can't think of much of anything to write in this blog. This is really odd cuz 1) I've been successfully keeping a blog for around 22 months, and 2) I always have something to say. Meanwhile, I've been reading blogs that are interesting and have high readership, probably because of their daily interesting posts.
But I've considered it, and I don't think I'm boring. During this period of unemployment (btw, if anyone knows of any part-time jobs in the Sacto. area, let me know--I'm still looking), I have kept quite busy. I volunteer with junior high kids-hardly a boring task. I knit, I'm studying photography. Soon, I'll be studying the psychology of love. I'm researching and doing some writing (though I don't know where it will lead) on great humanitarians. And of course, there are my plans for law school. Which reminds me, if you haven't yet, vote in my law school poll.
So what's the issue; why am I bored by my own blog? I have a few guesses:
1) I'm becoming more internal. Part of a long-term trend in my life that I don't really understand, I have become more introverted over time. I enjoy spending a lot of time alone, and I have been doing exactly that. Granted, I'd like to be around people more than I am right now, and maybe that's also part of the explanation: I don't do a lot of social stuff that makes for interesting entries. And the stuff I do spend my time on is mostly in my head.
2) My life is currently pretty undramatic. I get up. I take a photography class. I take some photos. I come home. And even when drama does strike (the photolab lost my pictures!), I've gotten better at just letting the drama go. I've worked really hard to incorporate some of the ideas of positive psychology into my life, and I think I've achieved a startling level of drama-freeness (not quite 100%, but give me time).
3) I'm a little panicky about expressing anything very personal. Between family member google searches and horrifying thoughts of future tell-all biographies, all the really fascinating and juicy details of my life seem too dangerous for the world wide web.
So what's the solution? The thing is, blog notwithstanding, I really like my "boring" life. I figure I'll have plenty of excitement next fall in law school (although, possibly, no time to write about it). And I still really don't want to divulge all my deep dark secrets to you guys--can you say blackmail? Well, I'll do my best to keep this blog exciting, after all, shouldn't it reflect my widely-regarded, sparkling, witty personality?
Looking back on the old blog's beginnings, one key to the interest level seemed to be that I posted almost every day. As a new resolution, I'm gonna try more regular posts. If I start slipping, start hounding me!
Saturday, March 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
[Morning at the Inn. Sookie is moping around, having "caught" Michel's ennui. Lorelai has just gotten off the phone with Max after a wonderful evening together.]
Sookie : You look happy.
Lorelai : Oh, well… what's the opposite of ennui?
Sookie: [pauses] Off-ui. [giggles] Oh, hey, I'm cured!
I love that scene! I think it's the only reason the word "ennui" came to mind... =)
Post a Comment