My favorite question from the HLS financial aid department's summer employment form: "Will you be getting married anytime during the 2006-2007 academic year?" Um, not planning on it, but I like having my options open. I guess there's no elopement for me now: I checked "no." Do we think that's legally binding?
Why am I awake at 6:30 am? It would only be 3:30 in California. Isn't jet lag supposed to kick in sometime here?
Yesterday, in addition to unpacking all the stuff I brought with me and all the stuff in storage, I decided to take the plunge and go buy my textbooks. I went to the bookstore ready to spend the usual $400 or so. Turns out I have 1 book this semester. And it's not even a big casebook. It's the size of a medium-length novel. Don't worry Mom; I am taking real classes. They just have lots of printed out readings. So my total cost for textbooks this semester: $10.34.
Speaking of my classes, I'm somewhat excited about them: Legal History-Race Relations Law pre-Civil War; Human Rights & the Environment seminar; Cyberlaw; and Advanced Criminal Procedure. And I don't care what anyone says, I think my seminar will be enjoyable (there are a few killjoys out there who want me to believe that I will get tired of hearing my classmates' opinions all semester, but I remain optimistic).
I'm also hoping to write my required paper this year, which will be 2 more units. This semester, I believe that I will only have papers; no finals. Again, some folks keep insisting that this is a bad thing, but I think it will be fun. I've just got to work early on the papers to avoid an end of the semester crunch.
I'm meeting all the new 1Ls on my floor and in my building. Ah, it takes me back... My floor also has a large number of L.L.M.s (people getting advanced degrees in law, at HLS they are almost always from other countries), so my floor is like the United Nations. I love it. There are folks from England, Ireland, Taiwan, China, Sweden... Awesome. It's like traveling the world just walking towards the bathroom.
Friday, September 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i'm soooo bored right now. thanks for updating so i had something to do for 2 minutes.. -jen. p.s. pls get married. i want to go to a wedding.
I had a remarkably similar thought to jen's -- I think you should test out the HLS policy and get married this year....make it a new number on your list. Please? I'll do it too...:) ha ha. - kate w.
Jen, if you want to go to a wedding, maybe *you* should have one this year. =) I bet Kate W. would like that too. See, then everybody is happy!
Post a Comment