Monday, July 05, 2004

It's Just Like Riding a Bicycle

You know how everyone says that you don't forget how to ride a bicycle? Well, maybe they don't, but I obviously have. Admittedly, I hardly rode my bike as a kid; I probably only rode it 4 or 5 times after I got my training wheels off. And I had some trauma: an adult who had been telling me that riding a bike is "sooo easy" fell on top of me while we were both on bicycles. That was my last bike ride.

Until last week. With my new used bike, I made a couple of clumsy attempts at riding. These attempts made one thing absolutely clear: I do NOT remember how to ride a bike. A near miss with a bush, and a few face-firsts into the pavement have me certain that biking isn't as easy as it looks.

But living in Davis gives me plenty of examples of successful bike riders: the city has the world's highest ratio of bicycles per capita. And I am always so impressed by those people on their fancy bikes, with all the biking apparel. So it inspires me to keep at it. Who knows? Perhaps one day I'll join their ranks. Move over, Lance Armstrong!

But first, I have to actually learn (or re-learn) how to ride one of the darned things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i was getting used to riding a bike again a while back, i failed to turn in time to not hit a curb and went over the handlebars and landed on my head on the grass. luckily no one saw.

-clara

Kami said...

I hope you were wearing a helmet!

Anonymous said...

i was. i am far too clumsy to even try to justify not wearing one. :)