I knew I didn't want to go to that picnic. My mom & I were invited to a picnic being held by staff from the place she used to work part-time as a graphic designer. For some reason, I found myself dreading it.
On Thursday night, my mom started looking up how to get there. That was when I found out the picnic site was located within a sort of wilderness area: by the American River, filled with coyotes, hawks, mountain lions (!), rattlesnakes, and the like. And so, of course, it was gonna be a little hard to get to by public transit.
But we looked at the maps, knew we'd have to walk a litttle, and decided we'd be alright. Friday morning, we set out at 8 am. We got out to the area and began walking through a residential neighborhood. We planned on following the river (there's supposed to be a bike trail there) up to the picnic area.
We got super lost, hit several dead ends, had to walk on all these hard to see dirt paths (Did I mention I hate, hate, hate nature?), and basically hiked for over 2 long hours. By the time we FINALLY found where we were going, my mom and I were incredibly exhausted.
But the picnic was fun (except for the bees), and my mom got great news: she's most likely being re-hired as a graphic designer!
Then came the trip home. On the way home, I suddenly got sick to my stomach. We made a stop in downtown Sacramento, and got on the bus to Davis. While on the bus in Davis, I once again felt sick. I got off the bus fairly far from home and ran to a park bathroom. But this meant that I had to walk all the way home. And I was already soooo tired!
By the time I got home, around 45 minutes later, I was exhausted, still felt sick, and I had a sunburn. I have since sworn never to go outside again, especially to anywhere remotely wilderness-y. Since I have to go to church tomorrow, I guess staying inside is out of the question. But I'm never going on a picnic again!
Saturday, July 03, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
if you hate nature, don't move to seattle. they all love nature up here. and on my side of the lake, they think it makes it pretty if they have areas of underbrush randomly in the city. and then they wonder why seattle is the serial killer capital of the world! nature sucks. seattle sucks too.
-clara
Post a Comment