A 2L at Harvard died while whitewater rafting over the break. I know multiple people who are really feeling the loss of her presence on the campus. Such events always get me thinking. The news went out today, and I've already seen a few touching remembrances of her. But it makes me sad that it often takes death for us to stop and take the opportunity to tell people how wonderful they are. So I'm going to take a couple of moments to just thank all of my friends for being the fabulous people that they are.
To Kate L. for her beautiful guitar music and ability to always make me laugh. To Kate W. for her randomness and her wisdom in every crisis. To Jen for her calm and the fact that I know I can always count on her. To Noah for his humor and his talent at shouting my name at the top of his lungs. To Justin and Alisa for reminding me that true love is possible. To Marisela and Emily for their poetic gifts and insightful conversation. To Tam for her enthusiasm and for the fact I know she'll make a difference in this world. To Ryan for his ability to always make me feel comforted when I really need it most. To Elizabeth, who will listen to my problems with more patience than I can muster for myself. To Joanna who puts up with my craziness and my teasing. To Valerie for being as close to family as you can be without genetic ties. To Jessica and Polly who make me actually want to go to class. To Sarah, a friend for almost as long as I can remember. To Shelley and Clara and Jen W. who somehow still put up with me after all these years.
To the people on my floor and in Fillmore's Motel for being my (very) extended family when I've been far from home. To a few special people who are always there to listen or talk during whatever drama may arise. To the people in Section 2 who have taught me lessons about law and about life. And of course, to my family: my nieces and nephews who give me hope for the future, my brother and sisters who drive me crazy and take care of me, my aunt and step-grandmother and cousin, and most of all, my mom--my best friend.
To all of you and to anyone else whom I haven't listed: thank you so much for being in my life. Thank you for being. I feel so lucky to have had an opportunity to know each of you. And thanks for bearing with me during this sentimental soap box event. I just want you all to know that you mean the world to me.
Monday, April 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
And thank you Kami for being one of the smartest and positive individuals I know. For the way you would watch SFTV just to get a glimpse of Matt Gonzales, for having an amazing wealth of knowledge both cultural, historical, political and pop culture--it always amazes me since I'm stunted in some areas and an expert in others. You will make this world a better place. xoxo
i love you kami... why don't you love me back? just kidding. you are a hard girl to get a hold of. hope all is well with you.
-jo mama... aka. jen t.
Post a Comment