Death and destruction. They're everywhere. Especially death. A friend's boyfriend's cousin. An elderly relative. People riding to work on a double-decker bus. But then again, so is destruction. People destroying their lives with alcohol. The little ways we tear each other down with cruel words, glances, actions. The slow stripping away of our freedom.
Life is short. Everybody knows it. We try to pretend it's not with wrinkle creams and sports cars. Or just by ignoring the facts. But I will die, and you will die. And it's only a matter of time. Who knows how much?
So, now that that's been established, we can curl up and mope. Or we can rail against the unfairness of it all. We can try to forget again. That's what most of us will probably do.
But there's another option. We can dance.
We can give ourselves over to life. Find meaning. Smile at strangers. Be joyful and grateful and giving.
You want to live forever; experience the Eternal Now. You know how when you look into your lover's eyes, you feel like time stands still? That's the Eternal Now. When you are working on something you care about, and you look up, shocked to realize that hours have flown--also the Eternal Now. Love and Meaning joined together. The limits of ordinary time can't compete.
With compassion and beauty and peaceful spirits and thankfulness and love, every day we can accomplish a lifetime's worth of work. We can make Creation dance.
Thursday, July 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I like that Kami, the idea of the eternal now. what a lovely concept and thanks for articulating it.
I guess this is how we can continue to have our conversations, virtual living room chats.
I second that (I am finally reading your blog posts because now I am at my own computer and able to check your link). More people can think this way in times of death and destruction. This is Kate by the way (I'm moving in but taking a break because it is pouring outside).
Post a Comment