Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Voluminous Writings on Scattered Themes

To start off the post, I want to announce the creation of a new word. Coined by Kate's friend Amy, after launched a search for a term that would describe the narcissistic tendencies of us web users.

Meegle:(verb) to search for one's own name on Google

I'm just posting it now, cuz I was hoping to come up with a complementary word that would reference other forms of internet narcissism, like keeping track of who reads your blog, posting those memes, or making polls to ask your friends what to do with your life. It's all just part of the wonders of the internet.

Starting off with a book recommendation, at least for all the girls. It's You Can Do It! The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-up Girls, a fun book that offers guides for achieving all kinds of goals, like traveling, learning another language, knitting, getting published, starting a rock band, surfing, or fixing cars. And when you accomplish your goal, you can award yourself one of the cute sticker badges at the back of the book. Ooooh, stickers!

I'm working on the budgeting badge right now. Once I get this whole "write down everything you buy" stuff down, I'll be well on my way...

In good news for those who talk to me por telefono (I'm also trying to get started on that foreign language badge), we may have heard the death knell for the dreaded "Ring of Death." For those who don't know, my cell phone does this thing where people I talk to hear a horrible ringing sound occasionally (I don't hear it, which might be why it's taken so long for me to do anything about it). Anyhow, I'm supposed to get a replacement phone in the mail soon. Yay!

One last question for all of you: If you ask someone to add you to their friends list on Friendster or Myspace and they simply take no action (even after they've logged on), does it means anything? Now, if they reject you as a friend, it's pretty clear they don't like you, but is just ignoring a request a statement in itself? Thoughts, anyone?

3 comments:

K8 said...

I really like Meegle. I think Yougle, Heegle, Sheegle, etc could be additions. Linguistically it seems ok to do personal pronoun + gle. I'll stop talking about that now. Working on my linguistics badge still.

Budgeting - I'd *highly* recommend (um...hehe) Microsoft Money. Anything on the computer that helps you track your spending and forcast your income. Though paper and pencil are fine too. I felt much better once I saw I really was just not making alot of money and not spending wildly. And that I could get by if I just paid more attention.

You and I need to practice my Spanish. So I can help meine Mutter.

Ding dong the Ring of Death is dead! Praise be, I don't think my ear could take it anymore.

Friendster/My Space: ah, the ultimate subtle slap in the face. "You pissed me off so I'm taking you off my friends list! So there!" Or just ignoring you...though one of my friends just took her time getting around to adding me. I don't know if I'd worry about it too much. Depends on the person really.

End voluminous comment.

clara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

with the friendster/myspace thing, if your friend is anything like me, (s)he could have looked at your request, thought "oh, look! kami! i should add her! i'll do it right after i do this other thing!," completely forgotten due to chronic absentmindedness, and then failed to notice the request when (s)he went to the site in the future because it was just something that was always there.

(i'm pathologically absentminded.)

--clara