Thursday, June 23, 2005

Is it 2008 Yet?

I haven't done any political-themed posts recently, mostly because I'm too overwhelmed by the number of horribly ridiculous things going on to pick just one. So instead of ranting at length, I thought I'd just include a list of a few political issues/events that have caught my attention.

Good
1) Bush's numbers down
2) Arnold's numbers down
Maybe folks are starting to catch on. But when you see the incredibly low numbers for Congress and the CA legislature, it suggests that maybe everyone's just given up hope. And maybe they have reason:

Bad
1) Say goodbye to free speech--Flag Burning Bill Passed
2) Nobody seems to care that there's actual PROOF that Bush lied to everyone. SF Chronicle We even apparently attempted to goad Saddam Hussein into war a full year before we technically attacked.
Sunday Times
3) Oh, boy. Just what we need. More nuclear power plants.
4) Democrats in Congress will stand up for nothing, as was evidenced by the fact they rolled over and let Bush have his way on oil drilling in Alaska, among other things. This leads me to:

The Mini-Rant
See, I'm limiting myself. Democrats refuse to stand up for anything because they're afraid of political fallout. But the thing is, what voters want is to have candidates who stand for something--candidates with vision and leadership. Bush has vision--tunnel vision, and he's great at leading us to war. Until Democrats can offer Americans a vision-based platform, they'll continue to lose elections.

No comments: