Today's Theme: Quagmires, Messes, Disasters, Morasses, etc.
Number one: I found out on Friday that my paycheck bounced. That's right, my paycheck. From the organization with a few million in the bank. Yeah, it was the bank's fault. Some confusion over account numbers. They got it fixed yesterday, but in the mean time, I got overdraft notices and charges. Luckily, they reimbursed me (the bank is reimbursing them). Today, I went to the bank to drop off the new checks in person. I'm not withdrawing or writing any checks until I can see the money credited. What a hassle. I'm glad it's over.
Number two: Due to my obsessive nerdiness, I've been keeping a timeline as I read the book on British history. It gets really complicated in the 1400s, when a few gazillion different people tried to become king. In a series of events called the Wars of the Roses, these different families argued about who was more related to an old dead former king. And it makes it virtually impossible to keep everyone straight. Today, I actually made a kind of geneaology chart. I had out about 5 encyclopedias and I found myself googling various Henrys and Edwards. A sad, sad day in my life....
Number three: The Bush administration now says that the Iraq insurgency could last up to TWELVE more years. They also say the insurgency is in its "last throes" Which is it, I wonder? My mom suggested that maybe 12 years is how long it will take before we can get all of Iraq's oil....
Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
nah, the 12 years is when secret pentagon whatevers are predicting the war with china, at which point a little insurgency in iraq isn't going to seem like a big deal anymore. :)
time to sing the doom song!
--clara
12 years?!? 12 YEARS??? Who the hell do they think is going to be fighting this war 12 YEARS from now??? (I seem to be in a punctuation and CAPS rut) In 12 years my brother will have graduated from COLLEGE and possibly even GRAD SCHOOL...
Those are some long lasting "last throes." If only they could make batteries that lasted that long, or cars with good enough fuel efficiency to run that long...
Then we wouldn't be hunting for oil.
12 years. Some village is missing their idiot.
Post a Comment