Monday, September 20, 2004

Butterflies, Fortune Cookies, and Barry Bonds

I suppose most everyone has heard of the Butterfly Effect--the fact that something as small as the flapping of a butterfly's wings can cause weather changes half a world away. It demonstrates the way seemingly insignificant actions can have an effect you might never have imagined.

I think that the Butterfly Effect is both a great excuse for random acts of kindness (Smile at a stranger today!) and a possible partial explanation for synchronicity: when things in life seem to come into some strange sort of alignment.

So maybe that explains why it turns out that my apartment's maintenance guy and I were in the same 6th grade class--predicted perfectly by that day's fortune cookie. Or the three engagements I've heard about in the last week. Or the fact that I had my first dream ever about Barry Bonds (I've never even dreamed about baseball before) on the night he hit his 700th home run.

Maybe stuff happens because of the energy we put out--you think enough about something, and it starts coming to you; it's a favorite theory of lots of self-help book writers. Or maybe it's some kind of predestination-fate and the like. Or maybe it's just good old-fashioned 1 in a million chance.

Or perhaps, right now, someone, somewhere is opening a fortune cookie that is gonna change your life.

No comments: