But there's a dark side to the legal cases too. And just for amusement's sake, I've decided to keep an occasionally updated tally on the body count in my classes. Well, at least in the reading in my classes. The current stats:
Civ Pro: 0 (Probably a major reason the class is so boring.)
First Year Lawyering: 0 (But I've heard a few threats to the instructor)*
Torts: 17
Criminal: Depends how you count it. 24 regular cases. 1 fetus (the ruling held it didn't count as human). 492 killed in a fire.
For those who don't like counting, that equals 517 altogether.
So our total current body count is: 534
In other news, I'm also making a list of some ordinary words that law school has completely ruined for me. Please note that a lot of these are words people use all the time, but when I hear them, all I can think of is the applicable legal rule (actually, I usually think about how I don't remember the applicable legal rule, but you get the idea). I'm sure this list will grow about as fast as the number of dead people. The beginnings:
- Reasonable
- Negligent
- Reckless
- Case
- Strict
- Liable
- Memo
- Brief
- Malice
- Intent
- Provoke
So the next time you see me, don't be surprised if I cringe when you say something like, "Quit provoking me! I wish you weren't so malicious--I'm liable to do something reckless!"
*That was a joke. Now that I'm in law school, I feel the need to cover myself in case anything really does happen. This must be what they mean about thinking like a lawyer.
3 comments:
Rotfl, it looks like you have comment spammers too. To be brief, I'd suggest you turn on comment verification (with the intent of preventing spammers from being reckless in their commenting), it seems to be rather strict. Though some hardcore spammers would be liable to view it as malicious....Well, better safe than negligent. Even if it does provoke them.
I never got the memo on why I'd need enlargement of something I don't have....
Are you still going to talk to me? :)
Thanks for the suggestion Kate. I just changed my settings. I'll even overlook your malicious intent there....
c'mon! be reasonable, kami!
Post a Comment